Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Change for the road ahead: green cars, or else…

When deciding on a theme for this blog, my aim was to provide myself an outlet to communicate my incredibly unique perspective on current events, as well as some of the on-goings in my personal life. I wanted to let the whole world see the subtle ironies that occur in life, as only I can perceive them, so we can all share in what I laugh at.

I did not intend for this to necessarily become a forum for political commentary. My punditry qualifications are lacking to say the least, and in the past I have suffered severe familial backlash for publicly sharing my opinions about the current presidential administration.

All that being said, I still feel that my thought process is, for the most part, sensible, so I proceed to opine on one of today’s headlining stories:

Obama gets tough on fuel economy

President Obama announced today new fuel economy rules that will require automakers to improve the fuel efficiency of the cars and trucks they produce. By 2016, new cars will be expected to average 39 mpg, while new trucks will need to get 30 mpg. Sounds great. Who doesn’t want a more fuel efficient car? You save on gas money, while being kinder to the ozone layer.

My problem with this situation is not about creating better cars. My problem is in the legislation of it. If the public wants a certain type of car, let the public demand it, and then let the carmakers respond to the demand. Legislation in my opinion seems to impede innovation. Without the hindrance of unions and federal regulations, I wonder how Detroit might be faring today…

And yet, the article points out that these new rules “have already gained support from major automakers.” I’m usually not one for conspiracy theories, but I am suspicious about the kind of pressure that resulted in this professed support. Would the President have been making this announcement today without the automakers’ support? Probably not. Auto manufacturers often fight this type of federal regulation in court, so how is that they are so happily on board with this plan?

Could it be fear? Perhaps. General Motors’ impending bankruptcy last year was unfortunate. More unfortunate is the power that the government gained over that company, as well as the car industry as a whole, as a result of bailing them out. The White House demonstrated this power by ousting GM CEO Rick Wagoner this past March when he didn’t agree with the government-proposed restructuring plan. Could the other major automakers be feeling a little intimidated by what could happen if they don’t go along with these new rules? While federal lawmakers do not currently have the same kind of direct hold on all car companies as with GM, I think they are nonetheless exercising a very unhealthy influence over the entire auto industry.

So what’s to become of us? Is a nationalized auto industry in our not-too-distant future? How soon before they get health care? Are we truly becoming a Marxist state? AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Look, I don’t know. For now, to be honest, I think today’s announcement of the new green car rules ultimately amounts to the following: In the years to come, some people might end up buying more fuel efficient cars. And in turn, the polar ice caps could take a little longer to flood California. But at what cost, I ask you??!!!!

Today’s thought is brought to you by the following Demotivator®:

1 comment: