Friday, May 22, 2009

Options, options, options

The question, "What do you do when you are out of options?" is flawed. The problem with that question is that it invites the responder to offer an option of something to do. But if you are truly out of options, then there is nothing to do, is there? Because you have no options.

Lately, I have been asking myself the same flawed question. Why, you may ask? I would rather not bore you with any details. Suffice it to say that I am at an incredibly frustrating phase where it seems that I have lost the ability to change certain facets of my life.

Of course, the idea that I have absolutely no options about anything is absurd. This morning, I chose to eat some cereal and a banana. Earlier this week, I chose to submit eleven entries to Despair.com's Demotivator® Caption Contest. But I am not talking about being able to make trivial choices - although, submitting the winning caption for $500 would not be so trivial - I refer more to having options of consequence.

Wise Seth Sorenson, from Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, said it best when he muttered, "I hate how my past actions keep messing up my future options." Right now, I feel like my options are kind of messed up, and I am trying to improve them. As I write that, I can't help but hear Yoda in my head saying, "Do, or do not. There is no try." Fine, Yoda. I'm not trying. I am making an effort. But I don't know if I'm actually improving anything, yet.

I find J.K. Rowling's story inspiring. She was in a pretty dire situation, as a single mom eeking by, when Harry Potter popped into her head. Bella and Edward appeared to Stephenie Meyer in a dream. I start to wonder if I can conjure up some literary magic of my own that would help improve my present situation.

Then I see stuff like the picture below, and realize that I probably don't have it in me. Reality sinks back in. I have no options.

No comments:

Post a Comment